Sunday, April 17, 2011

1-16-11 Right Spot @ Turtle Bay

Zone 3. I started on my bike at Sunset Beach and check all of the beaches to Turtle Bay. Jeannie checked from Keiki Beach to Sunset. My trek included Sunset Beach, The Pipe, Backyards, Velzyland, UH Farms Road at the park. Pahipahialua Beach Park, Mark Manely's Road to check Kawela Bay side by Auntie Ku'ulei's Rock, Kawela Bay-Bay, Pill Box Point towards the Stables, and on to Ola's at Turtle Bay Cove. 

I talked to security down by Ola's Restaurant but they said there was no seal there now but that it was there earlier this morning and yesturday. I then walked behind the Sand Bar Shack and checked with binoculars and low and behold there was a seal close to the SPZ where Right Spot usually hauls out.

I jump on my bike and road as fast as I could to get to the seal and identified the seal as Right Spot. Just in the nick of seal count time at 12:57! How lucky was that!. I was so happy...I got one:)

Right Spot was outside of the SPZ that was set up yesturday for her by TB Security. She was laying out side of the zone on the pole and rope to the left side of the SPZ. She was chewing on the rope! After she moved away and feel asleep I slowly pulled the rope in hopes of pulling the pole with it. I got the rope but no success with the pole. So I re-did
the zone butl I was short a few poles and called TB Security who showed up with a pole and bravely snuck the pole out from behind Right Spots while she was fast asleep. I stayed with Right Spot and educated a few visitors. I then headed towards Kahuku Point to look for Ua Malie. I made it all the way out to the Point and check every crevice I could find including her old hiding spot when she was a pup. No Ua Malie :(  

Attached are pictures of Right Spot and her new SPZ along with Robb Turtle Bay Security who was so helpful. Also attached is a picture of Hinahina an indgenous coastal plant in full bloom out at Kahuku Point.  Day is done!
To a great seal day in paradise,

kelly girl
Right Spot @ Turtle Bay gnawing on some rope 
 
 

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Hi there, just wanted to say a couple of things here. Loved your story, your persistence in finding a seal. When one is determined like you, you are successful, congratulations KElly Girl.
Now about the ropes at TB. Those ropes shouldnt be left over night. We learned ourselves that could be a disaster, the seal may roll on the ropes, getting entangled, and no one will see during the night. It happened with us and Kermit, twice. So, whoever leaves the ropes at night, should be informed of this...TAKE THE ROPES AWAY, LEAVE THE POLES. And if they could move the poles above the water line, still protecting the seal, so the high tide dont take the poles away too. Its happened with us also. This is for the safety of the seal.

Nice shots Kelly girl. You are awesome. And rightspot seems to be pretty persistent in hanging out at that spot. I remember when we watched Ua Malia, we'd see her out at that area too. Cool. Take care and once again, ya done good.

kelly girl said...

Thanks Barb, Sorry to say I am just a weekend warier for the seals. Wish I could do it full-time. I left at 3:45pm with Right Spot fast asleep. She was getting alot of attention and the ropes were still needed as to protect the tourists and local that were still frequenting the area.
I believe Turtle Bay has been told numerous times about leaving the zone up after the seal leaves. I have extended the same knowledge. Even to give a call when they see a seal but they don't always call.
Sometimes things are out of our control. However, I am so thankful Turtle Bay makes such an important effort to even protect our Hawaiian Monk Seal.