Thursday, April 7, 2011

4-6-11 Update from SW Quadrant

This update is brought to you by Heather!
I got to the beach around 0840 and found Max near the Nimitz bathrooms, just as reported. I was able to identify him by his bleach and cuteness. Two base police officers were waiting for me. One officer saw Max haul out but couldn’t remember the time. Said he called Barbara immediately, only to find out she was in Vegas. Guess if we need to find out the exact haul out time, we can check Barbara’s call log.

Next came news via Dana that another seal was on White Plains and I headed that way. Signs were already up when I arrived. I spoke with a lifeguard and he thought the signs had been up since yesterday afternoon (he didn't place signs) and believes the seal Dana and I think is Kermit overnighted (pictures to follow).

Another call from Dana a bit later reported another seal, this time fronting the White Plains cottages. Found this one quickly but couldn’t make an ID. Pictures to follow…I’m sure someone will know who this is.

I went back to Max's location about 1740. Guests at the cabin nearby (whom I spoke with a lot this am) ran over to let me know he departed a little before 1700. I guess he moved up/around quite a lot trying to avoid the rising waves, but ultimately gave up and went into the water.

I picked up the signs and headed to White Plains. The seal we believe to be Kermit was at same location near the fence all day. Around 1800 I saw him turning his body toward the water and slowly make his way in. I saw his head pop up about 10-15 yards from the shore twice within 5 minutes of getting back in the water, but then I lost him.

Finally, I checked on my U/U.  To my surprise, that seal was still there, but had moved pretty high up near the weeds. As I left I let the base police know a seal was still there. I still couldn't read/see flipper tags. All I can say with a reasonable amount of confidence is "adult."

No comments: