Thursday, January 1, 2009

January 1st 2009

We all look at the new year as a new beginning... and in all honesty New Year's Day 2008 was certainly a new beginning to me. The day Chester landed on Kailua Beach in front of Auntie Sharon's house... ( now mind you I didn't know Auntie Sharon before this)...

Rainy damp morning my phone rang a friend tells me there is a seal on the beach... A SEAL? Of course I had to check it out.... and there he was this big long skinny scraggly seal. Who new about Hawaiian Monk Seals? Who Knew they were endangered? Who knew NOAA took care of other things besides the weather? Who knew there was no special task force to look after these animals? I didn't.... but I do now...

Someday I would like to write out the whole series of events that brought me here, but for now I just want to acknowledge my commitment to help these animals, the wonderful people I have met, the friendships I have formed, and the extended family that I am privileged to me a part of...

I know we all have our first stories.... our first encounter.... But the one thing I am grateful for is that old bag of bones Chester brought SO much attention in such a short time to the plight of the Hawaiian Monk Seal... That HE will always be special to me.

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Donna, I understand what you said about Chester.For us, we tried to see him rotting on Kailua Beach but every single time we tried, we'd get a call on our side to check on a seal who hauled up. But one day, on Nimitz Beach in Feb, we were walking the beach as usual and came upon this skinny, straggly seal alone and surrounded by people. We got the people back,called DB, and asked who this poor seal was. It was CHESTER!!!! Right before our eyes. I cried. I felt this over whelming sadness yet happiness, we found CHESTER!!!! He came to us. We stayed with him for a long time just to feel his soul and that we did. He was awesome!!!! We met him again a few more times, and one day after my birthday, DB told us Chester DIED. Oh how I cried for days. He will remain in our hearts forever!! So, I know how you feel. And 7 months later, we lost our beloved HOKU. I still mourn his death. It was tragic! So, Donna, I understand. BIG HUG!!! Let us all continue to do all we can for the Hawaiian Monk Seals, they are so worth it. They need us...and we need them.