Saturday, January 3, 2009

DB Post Saturday 1/3/2009


My morning was a total bust. When I got back to the pier for my second check of Rabbit Island , at 0940 it was still a bust, but at 1030 came my little pal Kolohe with a box on his back, galumphing out from behind the right end rocks on Rabbit Island. He proceeded up to and then into the vegetation , where he spent the rest of the day. He was the one and only resident of RI today. Yesterday at 1330 he was Wailupe, checkin' out the surfers, and this morning he is back home to RI. The boy is beginning to get around.

Team Billand called at 0925 reporting that Kermit was just hauling out to the reef flats on the Barber's Point side of the Nimitz Beach Jetty. This was the same location as yesterday.

My phone got busy in the late afternoon. David Schofield called at 1518 asking if I was aware of an Ewa Beach animal. I was not. He advised that he had sent Jim Brown. Subsequent Jim Brown shots confirm the animal as Irma. This is the first Ewa Beach haul out in a heck of a long time. Posse person emeritus, Mary Jay, also called with the report of the same animal.

Next came a call from posse person Colleen , reporting an animal on the Black Point side of her house at Diamond Head. It would prove to be Rocky.

At 1645 I got a call from a heavily accented German female, reporting an animal at Alii Beach in Haleiwa. I called Todd White, and he checked the animal. He reported a very green animal with a "VO...something" bleach mark on the posterior left side. A "V" bleach would indicate an animal bleached on Kauai. It would prove to be my old pal 4DJ (T21M). His Kauai bleach is a V02.





No comments: