Sunday, January 11, 2009

DB Post Sunday 1/11/2009

RB08,RIP&U/U@RI, 1-11-09
It's hard to believe that the rainy, crappy morning we woke up to turned into the beautiful day that it turned out to be. I didn't find an animal until 1030. Despite the perfect viewing conditions, and excellent lighting, an ID is still impossible if the damned critter is going to hide behind water front rocks all day. I hate Unknowns, but that is what I had with an animal at 3BS on Rabbit Island. It was just moving behind the water front rocks when I saw it, and then remained there all day.

At 1105 RB08 hauled out at the left end of the island. She was kind enough to show me lots of the "RBOB Scoot" as she moved further to the left. She remained there all day.

At 1130 I became aware of a swimming head in the shallows at the left end of the island. What would prove to be RIP, hauled out briefly, and bellowed a bit, before rolling back to the water, and swimming down to the right end of the beach, where he hauled out , to the water front rocks fronting 3BS, at exactly the location of my U/U, thereby further blocking my view of the Unknown. He would spend the rest of the day there.

The White Plains lifeguards had reported an unknown animal at the Wind Sock, on Kalaeloa Beach. The Billands called on their way home from the airport at 1711 to say that it was Kermit. Aloha, DB
RB08
RB08 Rip & U/U

No comments: