Thursday, January 1, 2009

DB Post Thurs. January 1st, 2009

My first pass of the SE quadrant was a bust until I got to Hanauma Bay at 0900. There I found Ewa Girl at her usual location on the left side rock flats. She was last at Hanauma Bay on 11-29-08. Since then she was sighted one time at the Kalaeloa Campgrounds, and all the rest were at the Palm Grove at Campbell Industrial Park.

My first look at Rabbit Island was a bust, but when I got back to the pier at 1100 I found Sadie at 1BS. At 1120 as I panned the waters off shore of the island I found 3 animals swimming and playing off shore of 1BS. They ranged down to 3BS. I could identify Mojo as one of the animals because of his very visible natural bleach on the top left side of his head. The other two would remain a mystery until they hauled out.

At 1214 Mojo hauled out at 1BS, and proceeded directly to Sadie. The other two animals were right behind. They would prove to be R301 and Buster. There was quite a bit of action initially, Mojo managed to maintain a blocking position on the other two, which would not allow R301 or Buster access to Sadie. He successfully defended that position all day. Mojo's nuisance nuzzling of Sadie drew only barks and rolling away from him. Ultimately everybody settled down for the day, and all were in snooze mode when I departed at 1500.


Team Billand called at 0947 with the report of Kermit at the Wind Sock, Kalealoa Beach, and again at 1025 reporting Irma at the Last Bench, Kalaeloa Campgrounds. Aloha, DB






No comments: