Wednesday, December 4, 2013

12-4-2013 DB's Dailies: Duke,RM38,Kainoa@RI, Kea@Eternity Beach&BH, Benny,Makaiwi,Buster@WP, Kolohe@Maili Pt, Pohaku@Sec, Haupu@PC, Kermit&Rocky@KR

On my 2nd look at Rabbit Island at 0953 I found Duke (RA12) snoozin’ 30 ft right of 1BS.
 
On a pan at 0959 I found little Kainoa (RN04) 30 ft left of 3BS.
 
At 1018 an 85% molted RM38 hauled out to join Duke at 1BS. All would remain the rest of the day.

By pure luck I happened to look down into the Eternity Beach cove as I drove by at 1124, and lo & behold there was Kea (RN46) on the left side rock flats, surrounded by people. I got turned around and also notified volunteer Melanie who was on Kea duty. Melanie put up a cordon and established a little law & order at the scene, and there were no further incidents. Kea would depart at approximately 1530. While I was loading the equipment in my car at 1610 a tourist family who had seen Kea stopped to ask the usual questions. The also advised that just 15 minutes earlier they had walked the rock ledge from Eternity Beach over to the cove on the SB side of the Blowhole Lookout. There they met "K96" (Kaiwi RK96). I raced over there but alas she was no longer there. As I stood there at Blowhole at became aware of Kea doing 7 minute dives off BH. Kea was a busy little dude.... and looks like he might have been hanging out with his big sis.
 
At 0620 Team Billand reported Benny (RE74) fronting #1707 and Buster (RV08 & Makaiwi (R4DF) once again together fronting #1760, White Plains. Buster departed Makaiwi at 1005. At 1506 he showed up again to White Plains, hauling out to Benny’s location. Of course they had words.
 
At 0912 they reported Kolohe (RW22) at Maili Point.
 
At 1444 Dana called with the report of Pohaku (RO28) at Secrets, and Haupu (RB24) at Paradise Cove, KoOlina.
 

Team Billand called at 1646 to report an U/U with Kermit at Kermit’s Reef. At 1734 they could finally confirm the Rocky (RH58) ID.

 Duke, RM38 and Kainoa having a party on the island
 Kea being protected by Melanie....  
 before Melanie arrived
 I know these folks are close.... and most of us who been out there get upset... but every once in a while I remember when.... when I didn't know about the monk seals.... I actually give these folks some credit for being not as close as most... in that they don't know any better.  It's frustrating day after day dealing with this.... I do hope sometime in the future there are better means to communicate with the general public about the do's and don'ts
 the kid getting his swim on
 yeah!!! Melanie !!! (she's probably on the phone with DB lol)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

yay Melanie! good job.