Thursday, December 5, 2013

Yesterday's News Lesley's Ka'ena Point Trek

Lesley sent me the update yesterday was it was late and she hadn't got to the photos... i selected a few photos from the series she sent from yesterday. 

As I was going through them I was struck by the looks of these guys out there... Just think if you had never seen a monk seal before, and didn't know anything about them and you came across this scene.... I for one would have had every authority out there thinking someone had killed the seals..... just saying.... Often times I forget what it is like to see these animals through strangers eyes.
Thank you Lesley.

Tia, Kimo L. & I did Ka'ena Pt monitoring today. It was Tia's last trip out to the point as she is leaving HI on Friday. Thank you, Tia for all your help these last months, you have been a real trouper. We all wish you the very best and remember to: "Look Back To Come Back".

There has been some wild parties in the last couple of days - we saw firepits and lots of trash in several locations. David (SAR) and I put the reports in together

Our first find was little RN58 "Luana" just hauling out on Hidden Beach. On our way out she was still there but had gone for a dip.

At the point RO40 "Ka'ena" and RK36 Kauai "Kolohe" were sharing the Main Pool.
"Ka'ena" has started his molt (~20%).

On Back Beach RR70 "Rip" and RW08 "Kerby" were both down on the waterline.
"Rip" is still molting.
this photo is innocent enough... but still would make me curious (RK36)
 for sure I would think not only is he dead but he's rotting away (Ka'ena)
 omg another rotting animal... although he looks peaceful (Ka'ena)
 and this poor guy just keeled over backwards! (Kerby)

No comments: