Monday, December 23, 2013

12-23-2013 DB's Dailies: RM38@RI, Kea&RA20@Eternity Beach, Makaiwi,Kermit&Buster@WP, Ewa Girl@WSK, Right Spot@MCBH

At 0728 I found RM38 in the Morning Glory, 40 ft left of 1S on Rabbit Island. When I got back o Makai Pier at 1023 he was no longer there, however at 1039 RM38 hauled out fronting 3BS on RI. His left side natural bleach was clearly visible.
 
On my umpteenth check of Eternity Beach at 1112 I lucked out and saw RA20 just swimming into the cove. I cordoned her off when she hauled out. At 1309 Kea (RN46) showed up, and hauled out near RA20, but there was no interaction. When Kea moved down at 1458, near RA20 they acknowledged one another but there was not interaction. Gayle called at 1603 to advise that both had entered the water. She picked up the stuff and called it a day at 1645. 
I am happy to report that after hours of observations today, I saw no hook or line. Apparently he got rid of the hook on his own. Whale Watch posse member Bob Ubersax happened to be on top when Kea&RA20 entered the water and sent shots of them foraging together in the Eternity Beach cove.
 
Team Billand called at 0714 with the report of Makaiwi (R4DF) and Kermit (R012) together fronting #1708.
 

At 1017 the Billands found Rocky (RH58) near access #186B, Ewa Beach. 

 Kea and A20 at Eternity Beach
 Kea 
 A20
The two of them foraging off of Eternity Beach.
 Kermit and Buster at White Plains
 Kermit molting away
 Maka'iwi
 Ewa Girl at Windsock
 Rocky at Electric Beach... ( I have to say all our females are looking mighty big these days)

1 comment:

madhatter said...

Just wanted to wish everyone a Happy Holiday!
I love going to this blog and seeing what the Monk seals are up to they really crack me up sometimes. I have even went back to when the blog started and have begun reading. I am learning a lot about them,like where their names come from and who's pups belong to who also the brother's and sisters. I am up to the end of 2009. So sad about the one's who didn't make it.
The volunteers are awesome going out everyday and finding them and putting up the zones to protect them.
I wish I would have come across one of these zones when I was there, I would have had a lot of questions to ask, but I have learned so much through this blog.
You guys are the best!