Saturday, September 21, 2013

9-21-2013 DB's Dailies: Kea@AD, Irma&Benny@KPB, Buster@SB, Kaiwi@RI, Makaiwi@KoOlina&KDDH, RL42&Ka'ena@KP, Luana&RW02@Mokuleia,Pohaku@Secrets

At 0606 I found Irma (R010) & Benny (RE74) together at Kaupo Beach Park. I put up a cordon and they remained until departing of their own volition at 1207.
 
A fisherman posse person advised that he had seen Kea (RN6) at the west side of the AD wall at 0630. He was not there when I arrived at 0700. At 0847 I spied the swimming head of Kea out at the surf line, swimming east. At 0907 I found him again this time swimming west. At 0940 he hauled out, 175 yds east of the wall. I put up and SPZ. Gayle advised that Kea entered the water at 1256, only to haul out again, 125 yds east of the wall. We redid the SPZ. He has remained there in snooze mode the rest of the day.
 
Ocean Safety called at 1006 with the report of an animal on the main beach at Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 1012 I found Buster (RV08) fronting the "Middles" break. I cordoned him off. He was gone on my 1227 recheck.
 
Team Billand reported Makaiwi (R4DF) at KoOlina at 0707. She would relocate to the Kalaeloa Deep Draft Harbor, and back again.
 
Marilyn & Lesley did the Ka’ena Point trek, and reported RL42 at the main beach, and Ka’ena (RO40) at Ka’ena’s Pool at 1117.
 
They also spent time at the Mokuleia pup site with Luana & RW02.
 
Ocean Safety called at 1251 with the report of an animal in Nanakuli. It would be gone when the Billands arrived.
 

At 1338 Team Billand found Pohaku (RO28) at Secrets.

buster
 Irma and Benny 
 Kea 
 Luana and RW02 
 Weaner Luana

 RW02
 Ka'ena 
 RL42 (weaner Luana's older sister)
 
 Maka'iwi
 amazingly strong seal
 She's probably resting here thinking if she hauls out there might be someone waiting for her.... as long as she is resting that is what is most important

 Pohaku

4 comments:

barbara said...

Nope, we didnt find Pohaku, she was seen by...THE DILLONS who took care of her...we just went to check her out...Guess she dumped...Kolohe.

Miss Makaiwi continues her floating at her hide out...I know she wants to land...but just stays there, snoozing.

Sorry to have missed the seal in Nanakuli...that place was PACKED with humans!!!

Thanks to the Aloha Team for their help...These guys and gals are AWESOME...and fast.

TJ said...

Great to see Luanna today on the North Shore. She looks good.

madhatter said...

I am looking for someone to talk to about the monk seals on this blogspot.I enjoy reading and learning about these monk seals and I am learning their names and personalities. This is great updated information and wanted to find someone as interested as myself to talk to, I don't live in Hawaii and this is how I can be a part of learning about them.

Donna said...

Aloha Madhatter!!!
Talk away... if there are specific questions you have ask away! We have many professionals and volunteers following this blog and I am sure they would be happy to share their knowledge.
For me I will do my best to answer and I encourage the dialog.
Da Blog lady
donna