Wednesday, September 18, 2013

9-18-2013 DB's Dailies: Kea@AD&IR, Buster&Benny@SB, IR@KK, Kaiwi@SC, Makaiwi@KoOlina, Luana@Mokuleia, RW02@Camp Erdman

The Kea Quest began at 0600 and at 0634 I found him off shore of the party tree. He would do a leisure swim to the east, going well into the near finger of the estuary, and then moving back outside and heading west. I lost him as he went out to the surf line at the 100 yd rock flats at 0800.I would find him again at 0922 when he appeared next to the AD wall, on the west side. I thought it would be a short visit, as in past days, but nope... he hauled out to that location at 1015. Diane & I put up and SPZ. Diane would advise that he reentered the water at 1300, and was foraging on the west side of the wall. I stopped in to visit Marie at 1324 and found Kea still foraging 50 ft west of the wall. Marie called at 1423 to advise that Kea was moving west. I checked the estuary to Sandy Beach on my 4-7 shift. No Kea found.
 
At 0845 posse member Linda Nichols called with the report of "N3" at Irma’s Grotto, Kokee Flats, Portlock. She provided photos. Irma (R010) was gone when I finally got there at 1053, due to the rising tide.
 
At 0922 Ocean Safety called with the report of an animal at the east end of Sandy Beach. When I arrived at 0930 I found Benny (RE74), and cordoned him off. At 1118 I found that Benny was gone. As I was picking up the equipment I got another Ocean Safety call, at 1122 reporting an animal fronting the Middle Peaks break at Sandy Beach. You’re right....... it was Benny........again ! Once again I cordoned him off.
 
At 1054 Gayle called with the report of Kaiwi (RK96) at Spitting Cave.
 
At 1256 I got a 3rd Sandy Beach call. As I arrived at 1300 I was using Benny’s name in vain, but lo and behold, Benny was gone, and a few feet east, fronting the Pipe Littles break I found Buster (RV08). I cordoned him off. I picked up the rope at 1915. Buster remains.
 
Team Billand reported Makaiwi (R4DF) at KoOlina. Barbara reported seeing her eating a Tako.
 
Kimo called at 1203 to advise that RW02 was near Camp Erdman in Mokuleia.
 

Kimo also advised that Luana was snoozin’ the day away at the pup site.

Kea at ADs tucked in near the wall
  Benny at Sandys
 and later that day.... Buster at Sandys
 Irma at Kokee flats 
 Kaiwi at spitting cave
 Luana a Mokuleia
 a very common weaner pose.... sun bathing their belly?  rolling over and playing dead? or just too exhausted to move?
 or maybe just resting up for the big roll over
 Love that she cuddles between the rocks
 RW02 at Camp Erdman

No comments: