Thursday, September 19, 2013

9-19-2013DB's Dailies: Kea@SB, Irma&Benny@KBP, Duke&Aukai@RI, Kaiwi@BF, Buster@BH, Makaiwi@KoOlina

The day began at 0519 with a call from a Kaupo Beach Park posse person, reporting 2 seals near the pump house on the Waimanalo side of the beach park. When I arrived I found Irma (R010) & Benny (RE74). I put up and SPZ . They would depart at 1840.
 
Marilyn was patrolling AD at 0600, and found nobody, so I went over to Crappy Cove at Sandy Beach and by completely bull.... luck I happened to see Kea’s little fat bod, foraging amongst the rocks . Lesley, aided by Gayle continued to monitor him, but alas when he moved out to the surf line at 0800 he was lost. So far, despite lottsa’ lookin’,by Gayle, Diane & Brandi, he was not been sighted again until that same luck I spoke of earlier came through again and at 1626 I found Kea on gnarly, water front rocks, approximately 100 yds from Crappy Cove.
 
At 0807 I found Duke (RA12) & Aukai (RL12) in the Morning Glory, 60 ft left of 1BS on Rabbit Island. They were not visible on subsequent checks.
 
At 1102 I got an Ocean Safety call for an animal at Sandy Beach. It was gone, run off by the adoring hordes when I arrived at 1110. There was zero doubt in my mind that it was Buster. I relocated to the Blowhole Lookout and at 1133 confirmed the Buster ID on the animal that was foraging there , doing 10 minute dives.
 
Team Billand called around 0700 to advise that Makaiwi (R4DF) was on the beach at Lagoon #4, KoOlina. NOAA personnel responded, captured her, administered addition antibiotics, and decided to release her because she seems to be getting better without further intervention. I vote for that !
 
At 0957 the Billands called with a report of an animal at the Makaha Princess condos. The Billands were involved with the Makaiwi thing, so someone else went and it turned out to be 2 animals, 1 male (old coat) & I female (new coat). They were gone by the time the Billands arrived.
 

At 1317 posse member Anthea called with the report of an animal on Buster Flats. When I arrived Gayle was already on it, and confirmed the Kaiwi (RK96) ID.

 Kea early morning
 
 This doesn't look very cozy
 Buster
  Irma and Benny
 Kaiwi at Buster Flats

No comments: