Tuesday, November 9, 2010

11/9/2010 DB Dailies

The Rabbit Island cast for today would begin with Mojo to the left of 1BS, and Duke up in the grass to the right of 3BS. When I got back to Makai Pier later I found that Buster had joined the cast at the left, end, and when I got back to Makai Pier later, later, I found find RIP on the water front rocks between Seal Rock Inlet and Rocky Right Beach. .

The reason for so much in and out to Makai Pier began at 0740 while I was doing my Spitting Cave check. Posse member Laura, and daughter called to advise that there was an animal on the beach at Makapuu. When I arrived at 0757 I found Irma. She was high and dry, suggesting that she had been there for a while. I realized that she might well have been there when I did my Makapuu Overview check, but I could not see that part of the beach from my observation point. Through the day, as I did further checks I found that I needed to go up to the higher observation point to see her. She was gone when I did my 1400 check. Lifeguards said that she left of her own volition, with the rising tide at approximately 1315. In the entire 15 million year history of Monk Seals, this is only the 2nd animal to haul out to Makapuu Beach (well....... for the last 10 years anyway). The only other animal to haul out to Makapuu was Chester on 3-20-08. He remained only a few hours on his way to Rabbit Island. Six days later (3-26-10), he died. Irma... Tomorrow ??... my guess would be Kaupo Beach Park (but that was my guess today too). As always, Only Irma Knows .

Dera called at 0933 to advise that there was an animal a Waimea Bay. When the volunteer arrived they were advised that the animal had departed at approximately 1245. That suggest quite a time lag before anybody arrived. The critters deserved better than that.

Posse member Lesley checked in at 1350 to advise that the Turtle Bay/ Kahuku area was Monk Seal free today.
Late word from Dera brough news that a probable Benny was at the condos in Makaha. The caller said there was a "W26" on the side. We are figuring that was most probably an N instead. There was no response.

 DB's friend Irma

1 comment:

Hawaii Stella's said...

Makapuu is a great place to visit, I got married there! Well done Irma!!!!
Stacey Stella