Tuesday, August 24, 2010

8/23/2010 DB Dailies

At 0601 I found Charlie (RI13), and Lona (R017) directly in front of the main lifeguard stand at HB. Lona's nose was touching the steps. I got a large area cordoned off, including the lifeguard stand. I cautioned Ranger Jack and others that no one should be allowed to walk through, or snorkel through the water area within the cordon, since Charlie has been demonstating extremely aggressive behavior during this two day period. HB personnel did an outstanding job of crowd control, but at approximately 0800, a lone male snorkeler came through the cordoned area about 10 ft or so off shore. Jack was blowing the whistle and we were all yelling to get the guy's attention, as Charlie charged him. Thankfully , just seconds away from disaster the guy looked up to see, an up close and personal view of a very unhappy Charlie, just a few feet from him. You have never in your life seen a person scamble as fast as the soul. Fortunately he was untouched by the animal, but he will never forget those few seconds of his life I assure you. Afteward Charlie returned to Lona. ( sorry.... I did not get the shot)

At 0824 Lona decided it was time to leave and started for the water. Lifeguard and Ranger personnel cleared the water, as the animals swam toward the right end "Cable Channel", however just 30 ft from the channel, Lona decided to instead galumph in amongst the exposed rocks on the reef, where they remained until 1014 when they passed through and got to the outside deeper water. They appeared to be headed out toward Witches Brew, and the day appeared to be over. I picked up the stuff, and headed for Spitting Cave in hopes of seeing them there.

At 1048 by sizeable butt had just hit the rocks at Spitting Cave when the phone rang. It was Ranger Jack. "Their Baaaack !!!!". When I arrive back at HB at 1100 I found Charlie and Lona at the far right end of the beach. We just cordoned off the right end and they lived happily ever after. I'll be going back shortly to check on them.

I'm happy to report that there was , in fact, a 3rd seal at HB today. At 0730 Jack reported an animal on the left end rock flats. I found Ewa Girl in her old location. This was the first time since 8-1-09 that she had been at HB. It is my guess that she is on her way to RI for her molt, but only Ewa Girl knows.

When I finally got to Makai Pier at 1215 I found only Kolohe at Rabbit Island.

Diane Gabriel sent photos of Ua Malie at Turtle Bay. She appeared to have fishing line in her mouth, but Diane said it appeared to be there only a short while, and she didn't seem hooked, but it should definitely be something to look for tomorrow. I've sent the shots to the office. A late email from Tracy said that a team will go out to access the situation.

On a 1730 check of RI I found that Kolohe remained the only RI resident.

On an 1800 check of Hanauma Bay , Charlie and Lona were gone, however Ewa Girl was still there.

Kolohe
Ewa Girl
Lona and Charlie

No comments: