Wednesday, August 11, 2010

8/11/2010 DB Dailies


At 0636 the Rabbit Island cast appeared to be Buster at the far left end, RIP up in the Morning Glory, left of 1BS, and Kolohe (100% molted) at the right end of Middle Cliff (RMC). When I got down to Makai Pier at 0644 I found that RIP was not alone in the Morning Glory. There along side of him was the lovely Sadie.

At 1042 Sam hauled out to 1BS, to complete the Rabbit Island cast for the day. RIP would depart at 0919, and I would not see him again until my 1711 check from MP. He was once again along side Sadie. Also on the 1711 check I saw that Sam and Kolohe were no longer on the beach.

At 0922 Dera called with the report of an animal below "Pele's Chair" at AD's (Alan Davis Estate), When I arrived at 0930 I thought I was looking at Duke. I couldn't see tags, since the animal was wedged in the rocks, but the algae build up , and size suggested Duke. The location is extremely difficult. It seems impossible that an animal could possibly haul out there, however I've found RO38 (Pooh) in exactly the same location. All day long my Monachus Gene was buggin' me, because I just wasn't sure of the ID, so I hiked back out to Pele's Chair at 1543. It was a good thing I did, because it was not Duke at all. At 1633 I finally got a look at the tags, and lo and behold it was a young female from Molokai, RB16. She is one of Val and Diane's girls. Her only other Oahu sighting came on 4-4-10, when Keith Kenyon reported her at Ka'ena Point. She departed when the tide got to her, at 1639.

Team Billand called at 0704 with the report of Makaiwi fronting #1707 , at White Plains. She has remained there all day.

The Billands called at 1644 to advise that one of their posse had reported Rocky at Iroquois Point.

This was D#43 for R5AY&P at Turtle Bay.

RIP and Sadie
Sam
RB16 -little girl all the way from Molokai

5 comments:

Keith Kenyon said...

Hey, cool! RB16!!! Wonder if she followed Benny... or just traveled in her Honda (own Accord)

val said...

Hi Keith,
I am just about willing to bet that Benny has some sort of influence on our girl. She is a sweetie and loves hanging with the boys. Love the Honda comment. So enjoy your trek reports and photos to the end of the world.
Val

Barbara said...

That is Benny's way, looking out for the younger generation. In 08 he took Kerby to Kaena Pt. We thought Kerby was missing or dead. But on Oct 18, during a seal count, we found a little seal following Bennys Flipper steps...It was W08/W09, the missing pup..Kerby. I'll never forget that day..Rob and I were so HAPPY...Seeing the little guy, at Kaena Pt. live and healthy. wonder if he brought out Kiko and CEECEE too? Benny he is a super star...an ADD seal, with SMARTS and the will to travel everywhere, just to be with another seal..he does like the younger ones. Well, thats cause he is "UNCLE BENNY". He. He. And yes KK, that was a great line...HONDA ACCORD!

Keith Kenyon said...

:-)

BTW, does Kerby have a new stomping grounds? Haven't heard/seen much of him lately.

Could be that he's at KP, but we're not (at the same time)

Barbara said...

On Our last visit to KP, I saw Kerby follow I37 towards Yokohamas. He was acting like a big boy with her, I was shocked. He was with her our whole visit and then they departed together. He been there since Oct 18, 08. He is growing up and we love him dearly. Cool huh, DB found RB16 yesterday..sure is a cutie, plump too. Seal ya....