Tuesday, August 3, 2010

8/3/2010 DB Dailies

It was a misty, overcast day for Rabbit Island observations, but since I wasn't there much it really didn't matter. At 0650 I found Duke cruisin' in the Morning Glory at 1BS, and Kolohe at what has become his usual location of late, at the right end of the beach. I would later find Sadie at the left end tucked into the base of the cliff, left of 1BS. When I got back to Makai Pier at 0915 I found that Buster had joined the cast , at the left end, and moments later chubby little Sam hauled out to join him. Duke would later move over to join them. Sadie , as usual, moved down and into the water at 1028. I did not see her again today.

The highlight of the day began with a call from Dera, at 1057, with the report of an animal in Waikiki, near lifeguard stand 2E. When I arrived at 1134 I found Makaiwi (4DF), mid way between lifeguard stands 2F and 2E (across from the Zoo). The lifeguards already had her taped off so I just put out signs, and remained until 1400 doing public relations. Posse members Don and Karen also pulled shifts. ( I think Maka'iwi heard all about Papa Seal Whisperer and had to make her way to meet him... this kid knows she has that charm... I do hope she doesn't stay in or around Waikiki for long...  So interesting that after all that time at Nimitz she takes off and lands herself here... She is a cutie! )

This was D#35 for R5AY & Pup at Turtle Bay. I'm told that they relocated late yesterday to a spot a tad right of the "Keike Pond", where all this began.
Buster, Duke and Sam
Duke
Kolohe
Sadie
Maka'iwi

2 comments:

Barbara said...

Makaiwi, what are you doing so far away from the west side??? Dont you know we miss you??? I am glad volunteers helped guard you out at Waikiki. I know what, you are bringing awareness to the Monk Seals...showing people how sweet you are, how you need protection and stuffs. Ok, dont forget where you used to stay, ok? Be looking out for ya..you busy little munchkin. You are looking adorable as usual...Miss you alot. Prayers for a safe journey kid. And who exactly are you following out there???? Rip, Kermit, Rocky???? Hmmmmm.

Anonymous said...

The muzzle is beginning to turn white, in the final phase of the change to the new coat