Monday, August 16, 2010

8/16/2010 DB Dailies

It has been an eventful, and hectic day, most of which I knew nothing about until late afternoon.

My Rabbit Island day began with Duke and Kolohe at 0642. When I got back to Makai Pier at 0908 I found that Buster and Kolohe had joined the cast. Duke would remain by himself all day, but the others all eventually met up and did a swim/play session from 1151 until 1441, when they all hauled out together for the afternoon snooze.

Since the U/F wasn't at Rabbit Island today, I did a full AD's check and found nothing.

When I got home to begin working on the dailies at 1630, I found an email from Colleen, saying that Makaiwi had been at the Royal Hawaiian Hotel in the morning and was now (1500) at Queen's, in Waikiki. You can imagine the shock and turmoil that caused my head. Lo and behold my phone had no signal and once I turned it off and on again I found out that I'd had 5 messages today, not only about Makaiwi, but also the fact that there was an animal at Sandy Beach ! ( Ha! I bet you thought WOW what a quiet seal day... in the meantime all the volunteers and people out there running around taking care of the action... Great job everyone.)

To the staff at the Royal Hawaiian, HUGE Mahalos for all that you did for Makaiwi and her attendees. You are all worth many times your weight in Manapua !!! Thank you too, to the posse for being there, as always. At 1704 call from Dana reported that Makaiwi had departed Queen's I guess that means she'll be at Colleen's house tomorrow ?????

As for the Sandy Beach animal, I found B16 out amongst the rocks at the cove at the back entrance to Sandy Beach. She was perfectly blended with her surroundings , thankfully , and nobody had a clue that she was there. I put out nothing to indicate her presence. I stayed until 1730, and on my 1900 check she was gone.

Team Billand reported Ewa Girl and RIP , together at the Kalaeloa Campgrounds, right in front of the Fire Surf School operation.

Team Billand got a call from Frank at Iroquois Point advising that Rocky was there today.

As if all of that weren't enough, today was also THE day for R5AY & Pup. Ua Malie is weaned as of this morning (D#48). Thank you to Diane for today's shots of Mom & Pup.

Buster, Sam and Kolohe
Buster and Kolohe
Sam, Duke, Kolohe and Buster
B16

1 comment:

Barbara said...

Modern technology is some times real stupid. Why your phone would not work, who knows. But I am glad you found that sweet little girl B16/B17, she is a pretty girl. See, she waited for your visit with her and she done just fine alllll by herself..well hidden, aint the creator a great artist, to give the seals the ability to blend in? Cool. And your R.I. shots were really great with all the kids on shore in peace and harmony. Love those days they can just be...Hawaiian Monk Seals without any humans around...excuse me, just one, spying on them...YOU, Da seal Whisperer!