Friday, August 20, 2010

8/19/2010 DB Dailies

My first look at Rabbit Island was a bust. It was not until I got to Spitting Cave at 0749 that I finally found a critter. There I found Buster doing 8 minute dives.

When I got back to Makai Pier at 0935 I found RIP on the far left end of the beach at Rabbit Island. He had last been seen in the company of Ewa Girl at Kalaeloa Campgrounds on 8-16-10, by Team Billand.

At 0954 on a pan I became aware of Sam and Kolohe in a swim/play session off shore of 1BS. They would haul out together to the left end of the beach at 1029. RIP galumphed over to join them. There was never any observed interaction.

At 1232 Duke hauled out to the left end of the beach. He moved up to join the rest of the boys, and all remained there in snooze mode for the rest of the day.

At 1415 Dera called with the report of an animal at the surf break at AD's (Alan Davis Estate). When I arrived at 1420 I found Makaiwi on the beach. The caller ,new posse member Tommy, said she was there when he arrived at 1200. She had not been there on my 0900 check. I put up a cordon, and just as I finished she entered the water, only to haul out again approximately 100 ft east. I redid the cordon. She had last been seen at Diamond Head on 8-17-10. This marks her furthest know travel to the SE quadrant. We stayed until dark and Makaiwi remained. We left the signs. I'll check her first thing in the morning.

Posse member Lesley who was on weaner duty, with Ua Malie at Turtle Bay, called at 1342 to report Right Spot had hauled out to her usual spot at Turtle Bay. I got afternoon email from Dana, forwarding an email from kayak posse member Scott, reporting an animal in the water off shore of Kawela Bay around 1100. Chances are excellent that it was Right Spot but ??????
RIP, Kolohe and Sam
Maka' iwi

No comments: