Monday, September 28, 2009

A Message From KP2

(Thanks Val :-)
Aloha everyone,
Kp2 here, just wanted to share my most recent photos. As many of you know I have been experiencing my first molt. I am now sporting a beautiful silver/grey fur coat. Got to tell ya that molting was a difficult process. All I wanted to do was sleep....I spent a number of hours on the swim steps at the Kaunakakai Wharf. You know, this wharf is just not the right place for a famous seal like me to molt. Oh,did you know that my photo was in the Wall Street Journal?? I just might need to get an agent!
There was always someone wanting to take my photo, swim with me, talk to me, shower me, oh the list goes on. Next year I really need to find a nice sandy beach for this molting business. I did manage to find a quiet place at the wharf where not many people could find me. It allowed me to have a few hours of peace and quiet. I appreciated the time alone.
I have a number of cool volunteers that monitor me everyday. They protect me and I always hear them telling folks about my life and how I got here to the Kaunakakai wharf. They say I am a great Monk Seal Ambassador!!

This wharf area has been a fun place to hang especially when the kids were around. Those kids were alot of fun. With all those kids around it was kinda like having my own seal colony. Now that I am getting bigger and a much better swimmer not as many kids get in the water to play with me. That makes me sad, but I think it's best. I really need to find some seal buddies that can play rough and tough with me. They tell me I may be going to another area to live. Well I am a little sad about leaving all my pals here on Molokai, but again I think it's in my best interest. A good looking seal like me really needs to be out where he can find some cute girl seals.
Hope you enjoy my new look, it sure took alot of hard work.Til next time.

Love and aloha,
Kp2

3 comments:

Nana Allen said...

What a lovely letter from KP2 and the beautiful photos of him!!!! He as well as all of his friends (humans or monk seals) are true blessings to us all!!!! Thanks Val and all the people of Molokai that have protected and loved KP2, for all the dedication and hard work everyone has put forth!!
Mahalo for sharing.

Barbara said...

KP, you will always hold a special place in my heart. You taught us so much, how you can tolerate no water in your pen, low water tides, people who befriended you, how you loved TAKO and it was amazing to watch you thrash it about, how you hunted for crabs, moved rocks about your pen every day. Loved the high tide and surfed the waves with that sweet look. THe way you tilted to your side in curiousity when you heard a sound. That cute BAH!!! when you wanted to eat and if your food was late, how you slapped the water with your tiny flippers. It was sad when you'd look out the pen, knowing there were things out there for you to discover. We felt your vibes, you wanted to hunt out there where there is fish.
It was heart breaking when they took you out of Kaneohe pen, I cried for weeks, I still do. I am so sorry you never got to be a seal. But Oh KP, you have brought us all an awareness of what a seal does in its daily life. And we also know how much you love MOI. NOAA done good in learning all it could to save your life. From you, we can now decide what we should do if perhaps another KP2 comes about again. THank you sweeet soul of the sea and shores of Hawaii, good luck in finding your way in being a SEAL. Oh how we will miss your presence, that gorgeous face and that wonderful funny personality of yours. Thank you for teaching us so much. I wish I could hug you, but, I know I cant, but I still wish I could. I love you KP2. We are all full of pride and honor, having the chance of meeting this Ambassador of the Hawaiian Monk Seals. You will always be our TREASURE!!!!!

Dana Jones said...

What a great letter. Many thanks to Val and Diane and all the volunteers for taking such good care of him. I look at pictures of him and Hoku on the wall in my office and know how very special these two creatures have been in my life. What a blessing to have been involved in their young lives and what I have been given in return.