Thursday, September 3, 2009

DB Post Thursday 9/3/09

I arrived at Kaupo Beach Park (KBP) at 0545, to find that Buster had departed. I picked up the stuff and continued the adventure.

Initial checks of Rabbit Island , and the rest of the SE quadrant were a big zero, but when I got back to Makai Research Pier at 0900 I found Mikala just hauling out to the left end of the beach, 80 ft. left of 1BS.

On a pan at 1026 I found Duke at the right end of the beach and only partially visible in a place I call Seal Rock Inlet (SRI) . Partial though the view, I could still see his big beautiful N18 bleach. He would move up with the rising tide , to become fully visible, and remained at that location the rest of the day.

On a pan at 1106 I found Kolohe newly hauled out at the left end, 20 ft left of 1BS. He would galumph to Mikala and they would spend the rest of the day together. There was initial play on the beach, though Mikala did her best to try to get away, Kolohe was doggedly persistent. Ultimately, he would get her into the water for a swim/play session from 1144 until 1242. They would haul out together to the left end at 1242, and Kolohe continued his pursuit of Mikala. Things finally calmed down at 1254, and both went to snooze mode.

Kolohe's D#2 molt progresses quickly. I would guesstimate and conservative 10%.




No comments: