Wednesday, September 16, 2009

DB Post Wednesday 9/16/09

From the Makapuu Overview (MO) at 0630 I found what would prove to be RIP, just moving toward the water line at the left end of the beach, on Rabbit Island. When I got down to Makai Pier (MP) at 0657 he was just entering the water. I would not see him again today.

At 0939, on a routine pan , I found Mikala newly hauled out to the Middle Cliff area. She would stay only briefly, reentering the water ,and hauling out again to 1BS on the left end of the beach,at 1149. She would remain there all day.

At 0808 I got a call from Turtle Bay Hotel, posse person Brenda, who runs a beach kiosk . She advised that our molter was there again. Hotel security had the animal cordoned off, as the always do. I began the long journey north, but thankfully Brenda called back at 0830 to say that per my request she had gotten the tag number 5AY using her binoculars. I canceled the trip. Brenda called later to advise that 5AY had departed around 1100. Apparently, my wife and 1 cat wager was as safe as I knew it would be. According to Brenda's description I'd guesstimate 5AY's molt at a conservative 80%. Brenda called again at 1704 to say that 5AY was back on the beach, and security was taking care of her. After a day's swim her molt was 99%.

Team Billand called at 0844 to report that Irma was at Maili.

At mid day two DOCARE boats with 6 DOCARE officers aboard along with 3 NOAA people who are responsible for giving them NOAA money for the year, arrived off shore of Rabbit Island. They did not land. DOCARE was just doing the routine "dog & pony show". In addition to those 6 DOCARE personnel I had two with me on the lanai. On most days I can't get even one guy to show up but for this they have 8 officers...Auwe !!!!! Mikala hauled out just as they arrived so they got to see a real life Monk Seal.

I want to thank all of you that have taken the time to let Laura Thielen know what the DOCARE situation is really like out there. I have zero faith, but I really appreciate your heartfelt attempts to get the State's attention.



No comments: