Saturday, September 26, 2009

Kermit Makes a Get Away

Mom and I arrived at White Plains about 8:15 AM. Barb and Robert were there and Kermit had just arrived, AGAIN. He didn't hang very long as Irma was not showing much love or tolerance for his nudges and nose to nose interaction. About 5 minutes after arriving he decided to take off. After that the fun began. It was hilarious. He swam right straight down the beach right through all the surfers and boogie boarders. There was a lot of frenzy on the beach. Barb and I were running with Kermit down the beach and she was snapping pictures and he was heading for the surf boards and then diving under them and around them and just having a great time making everyone get out of his way. What a guy. It seemed he knew what he was doing messing with folks and just being playful and cute.

The 3 kids that he scared, in Barb's photo, I did go and speak to. I invited them to come over to where Irma was and gave them a little outreach on Monk Seals. They were hyped and still having a rush about the encounter. Barb let them see the photos she would share and I gave them the website information. Barb was so sweet and said she would also email them the photos. The children's Mom came over later and spoke with me and thanked us for making a scary situation a memorable moment. I think we won them all over with the history and information we were able to provide.

The rest of my day was pretty normal for White Plains and I'm beginning to see a little more respect for the animals. Are we making a difference????Hope so??? Maybe?????

Mahalo,
Dana & Becky


No comments: