Thursday, September 17, 2009

DB Post Thursday 9/17

It was not until my second look at Rabbit Island , from Makai Pier that I finally found critters. When I peered into the scope at 0840 I found Buster, and to my complete surprise , Benny, just hauling out, fronting 1BS at the left end of the beach. It takes seconds to write that sentence, but it would take until 1010 to ID Buster, and the Benny ID was even more drug out. I finally made the confirmed ID at 1205. I think in the future I will put the ID times in parentheses after the names,as I do in the office reports, to give you some idea of how long it takes. Sometimes it's immediate, but mostly it takes hours.

Benny had last been seen, by the Billands at Maili Point on 9-4-09. His last visit to Rabbit Island was in May, when he did his molt. He departed RI on 5-19-09 and returned to Ka'ena Point.

At 1333, Mikala (1324) hauled out 90 ft left of the boyz at the left end of the beach. She managed to spend the entire day by herself. It's only a matter of time before she meets Benny. She'll have her flippers full then !

All cast members remained in their respective locations all day.

Team Billand won the turkey today. The called at 1052 to report Ewa Girl at Maili Point, then again at 1152 with the Irma at Tracks report, and lastly at 1230 with word that Rocky was on "Kermit's Reef" on the right side of the Nimitz jetty.

No comments: