Sunday, September 13, 2009

DB Post Sunday 9/13

On my first look at Rabbit Island from Makai Research Pier at 0713 I could see an animal tucked into the base of the cliff, 40 ft left of 1BS. The animal would finally move down to cool off at 1150, but it would take until 1313 to finally confirm the Buster ID.

On a pan at 0836 I found Mikala, newly hauled out to the far left end of the beach.

At 1310 Kolohe would haul out approximately 100 ft left of 1BS, and after scaling a substantial cut in the beach he rested for awhile, only to return to the water at 1355. The trip down the cut was easier. He would haul out to join Mikala at 1400, and they would do a swim/play session from 1408 until 1459. As they began to haul out at 1BS Buster came down to meet them and ran Kolohe off. Buster and Mikala continued play. Kolohe would haul out at the far left end of the beach at 1504.

A DOCARE Incident began at 1505 with the arrival of two, local males, in a 2 man , white kayak. They initially put out an anchor, and one of the individuals paddled off to surf, however the other guy elected to haul the kayak up onto the beach 50 ft left of 1BS. He then went off to surf. I made the DOCARE call at 1508. I know for bitter experience that there is not a snowball's chance of getting a DOCARE response late in the day, but I called anyway. I got a call from a DOCARE officer at 1542. They were sitting at Kaupo Beach Park, and yes.... they could see the kayak, and yes.....they could see one individual sitting on the beach watching the other guy surf, but they were getting off in 15 minutes !! Just another day in the farce that is DOCARE.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope Duke is alright. Duke not being observed for several days is starting to bring back some sad memories.

Nana Allen said...

My prayers and thoughts are also with Duke!!

Barbara said...

Duke, sweet Duke?? Where the heck are you babe??? You know we all want to see you again with Mikala, Kolohe and the others. Come on get your but home to R.I, Daddy D is looking hard for ya and we miss you. Please show up today, I feel fear, nervous but I am keeping the faith you are just exploring your world. Be safe kid...come on home..Please. duke! Duke!! DUKE!!! Can ya hear me???? Come home!!!!!!!!!!!!

Barbara said...

And what ta hell is DOCARE FOR???