Wednesday, September 2, 2009

DB Post Wednesday 9/2

The day got off to a slow start. Despite lots of looking, I didn't find my first animal until 0935. It was Mikala, hauling out 40 ft right of 3BS,at the right end of the beach. She would remain there all day.

At 1106 Duke hauled out 40 ft left of 1BS at the left end of the beach.

At 1150 Kolohe hauled out at the left end of the Middle Cliff (LMC), and after a short stay, reentered the water and hauled out to join Duke. The played a bit on the beach, and then entered the water from 1316 until 1359 for a swim/play session. They were visible in the water the entire time. At 1359 Kolohe hauled out by himself. I could not find Duke again prior to my departure from Makai Research Pier at 1500.

I'm happy to report that Kolohe has begun his molt. The top of his head and his face are bare, and he has a sizeable bare spot on the chest. I would guesstimate a conservative 5%.

At 1604 Tracy called with the report of an animal at Kaupo Beach Park. When I arrived I found Buster on the beach at the Makapuu end. This was exactly the same location as his haul out with Ewa Girl, on 8-10-09.

No comments: