Wednesday, August 12, 2009

DB Post Tuesday 8/11/2009


The first order of business was to check on Ewa Girl and Buster at Kaupo Beach Park. When I arrived at 0536 they were still there. I rechecked them multiple times but on my last check at 1052 they were gone. I'd last seen them at 0910, and a lady on the beach who had arrived at 0945 said they were gone when she arrived, so that is the window. I did not see either of them again today. I would guesstimate Ewa Girl's molt at a conservative 20%.

As I drove through Sandy Beach on my first pass of the morning, there was Right Spot, waiting for me, at 0602. I cordoned her off and rechecked her through the day. I know posse person Lesley was there for some portion of the day so I know the girl was in good hands. I saw her on my 1530 check, but she was gone when I looked again at 1600.

By recent standards the Rabbit Island cast was small kine. I found M38 just hauling out at the left end of the beach at 0636, and he would remain there all day. When I got back to MP for the day , at 0924 I found that Mikala was now tucked in behind some water front rocks, 20 ft left of 3BS. She would remain there all day. On a routine pan at 1034 Duke was suddenly visible far to the right of the island, beyond the beach and out on the right end rock flats at a place I call 1st Cave. I'd seen him out there a couple of weeks ago foraging in the tide pools, and apparently that was the plan today also. He would remain there all day.

Team Billand called at 1136 to advise that they were with Rocky at Nimitz Beach. Colleen was stoked to get the Rocky news.

Todd White had two animals at Chun's late this afternoon. His blog shots appear to be R018, and another unidentifiable animal, that I would says is almost certainly R5AY based on the constant companionship since they got back to Oahu. Todd saw them at 1615 at Chun's. My surf photographer pal, Vince Cavataio sent me a shot of two animals behind his house at Keiki Beach (next to Shark's Cove) from this morning. He shots great waves, and grrrrrrrrrrrreat girls, but is a sad Monk Seal photographer. My guess, based on the scars on one of them is that it was also R018 and R5AY.
Duke
M38
Mikala
Right Spot
Rocky
Buster
Ewa girl & Buster
Ewa Girl

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Didn't know there was another blog. Anybody have a link to Todd White's blog?

Donna said...

i believe the blog name is north shore monk seals.... i wasn't aware todd was still updating it, until DB mentioned it.

Barbara said...

How nice to meet Ewa Girl up close while she is in full molt. Cool!!! Wonder when she'll return to Campbells. Thanks Ewa Girl!!! You are awesome!!!!!!!!!