Monday, August 10, 2009

DB Post Monday 8/10/2009

As I was driving down the hill from Blowhole toward Sandy Beach at 0632, for my 2nd SB check of the morning, there was a familiar shape on the main beach. Right Spot had returned, after a 5 day absence. I had allowed myself to believe that she had moved on. Wrong...........again !!

On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0653 I found the same cast as yesterday. RIP and Ewa Girl were together at the left end of the beach, while M&M and M38 were together near 3BS. Duke was 60 ft further right of 3BS, up in the Morning Glory, and Mikala was floating in a tide pool below 3BS.

When I got back to Makai Pier at 0958, I found that things had changed. To begin with neither RIP nor Ewa Girl were visible at the left end. I would not see Ewa Girl again today. When I panned to the right I found a lone animal below 3BS, which would prove to be M38, and 60 ft further right there were M&M and RIP close together. Obviously, I had miss something while I was gone.

Duke had moved to a spot further to the right of this mob, and Mikala had hauled out to the Middle Cliff area.

Even though they were 60 ft apart, M38 and RIP would occasionally bellow at each other, and slowly but surely M38 moved closer. At 1027 the battle was on. M&M got caught in the middle initially, but managed to get out from under, and move off to the right. The contact was only 30 seconds or so, but they both had their hearts in it. Ultimately, RIP would win the day, remaining with M&M, while M38 galumphed off further to the right, stopping 80 ft or so to the right. That is where I left the situation as rain began to fall and visibility became impossible.

The afternoon cleared up nicely, and I ventured out again at 1430. Right Spot looked comfortable at Sandy Beach, and I continued on to Makai Pier. There I found Mikala still at the Middle Cliff spot, M38, 60 ft right of 3BS, M&M 100 ft right of 3BS, and RIP 120 ft right of 3BS. Duke was at the extreme right end of the beach, and all were in snooze mode.

Barbara Billand called at 0907 to report Benny and BG at Ka'ena Point today.

Right Spot was kind enough to depart Sandy Beach at 1700. I picked up the stuff and called it a day at 1715.

No comments: