Thursday, August 20, 2009

DB Post Thursday 8/20/2009

On my first look at Rabbit Island at 0710 I found Ewa Girl snoozin' near the Morning Glory mound left of 1BS. She would occasionally move about a body length to the left which put her in a slight depression and out of my line of sight, however she would move back up after a while. On a pan at 1201 she was once again out of my sight, but I did not see her again after that. Whether she departed or simply moved out of sight is unknown.

On my return to Makai Pier at 0920 I found Mikala cruisin' in her favorite tide pool at the right end of the beach. She would finally haul out , with the rising tide at 1132, and remain there the rest of the day.

At 1022, Buster would haul out to the left end of the beach directly below Ewa Girl's location and began to move up toward her, however he stopped at mid incline, approximately 30 ft from her. On a pan at 1121 I found that he was no longer there. I did not see him again today.

On a pan at 1107, Duke hauled out from behind the left side rocks at the rubble cove at the right end of the beach. He would move high on the beach with the rising tide, and remain there all day.

At 1429 Karen Bryan called with the report of an animal at MCBH. Her friend, Priscilla Clark, took shots. I've forwarded the shots to Tracy and I don't want to bet the wife and cats on the ID until I hear Tracy's input, but in my humble opinion I think it's probably Right Spot, based on size, female belly, and a unique notch in the lower lobe of the right hind flipper, just visible in one of the shots. Unfortunately, all the shots were of the left side which is tough when your fans all know you by your right side.

No comments: