Sunday, August 2, 2009

DB Post Sunday 8/2.2009

My day began with the find of Ewa Girl at Rabbit Island at 0643. She is due to begin her post weaning molt soon, and since she customarily does that molt at RI, I'd say that is why she is there. M&M and pup were doing their only observed swim at that time . They would later haul out just left of the 1BS, and would remain there all day. I observed the porker doing 5 feeds.

On my 0742 Spitting Cave check I found Buster doing 9 to 13 minute dives.

At 0852 I found Right Spot, newly hauled out at Sandy Beach . She was in exactly the same location as yesterday's visit. We got her cordoned off, and rechecked her through the day. She was still there on the 1500 check. I will return at dusk.

Back at Makai Pier at 0930 I found that in addition to the above mentioned RI cast, Duke had hauled out at the right end of the beach.

At 1600 the Ultimate Posse Person, Colleen Heyer called from Diamond Head. The rest of you think you are volunteers..... HA !! We are all but mere mortals. How many of you can get a Monk Seal in your backyard ? Not only does this woman make the best signs EVER......... she managed to have Rocky stop by her backyard....NO ... REALLY...LITERALLY, I mean in her backyard !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Right Spot departed Sandy Beach of her own volition at 1921. I picked up the stuff and called it a day at 1930.
Colleen I know you work hard, but getting the seal to come to you, now THAT'S TALENT!

2 comments:

Dana Jones said...

It's obvious the beach was just too too hot for the girl and she needed a nice safe shady spot to rest. Not to mention a cushy lawn and Auntie Colleen to look after her. Can we say that this is a very savvy seal?

Barbara said...

Wow Colleen!!!!!!!!!! What an honor to have a Hawaiian Monk Seal in your very own yard. Rocky truly loves ya...your island..your kayak..your signs that protect her so she can snooze. And now, your yard, a safe haven for a tired female seal known as Rocky. That is beautiful, awesome. Take plenty photos Colleen...this is a National Geogarphic moment. Ya need a new sign...Rocky RH58 slept here!!!! He.He. I just love this whole story!!!!!!!!!!