Monday, August 3, 2009

DB Post 8/3/2009

At 0637 I found what would prove to be M&M....alone near 1BS on Rabbit Island. D#39 was weaning day. It took me a while to recognize that it was , in fact, M&M, without the hulk beside her. M&M would depart RI at 1102 and I did not see her again today. This marks the first time I've ever seen a Mom on the beach on weaning day.

At 1026 the weaning was confirmed when the weaner hauled out , alone at 3BS , and remain there all day.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you our new FEMALE weaner, Mikala !!! I've known for over a week now that she was a she, but confirmation of that opinion from the office, made it official. Why Mikala you ask.............. She was born on the day that Michael Jackson died, and Mikala is Hawaiian for Michael (or Michelle), and Farah just didn't work !. It's not that I was a big Michael fan or anything, it was just a fact of her birth that I thought I'd use in naming. So..........Mikala it is... "So let it be written...So let it be done" .

The rest of the Rabbit Island cast would be Ewa Girl and Sadie at the left end of the beach, and Duke at the far right end.

On my 0725 Spitting Cave check I found Buster on his 2nd day of 9 minute dives. To my surprise, at 0735 I found another animal 200 ft to the right of Buster. It would turn out to be Kolohe doing 6 minute dives. There was never any observed interaction.

Colleen called from Diamond Head at 0830 to advise that Rocky was still on the beach behing her house. She called again at 1000 to report that Rocky had departed.

Barbara Billand and the Team Johnson did the KP trek today, and reported Benny, BG, and Ka'ena.






1 comment:

Barbara said...

Reading that M and M has weaned her FEMALE pup is really sad to me. We all watched M and M grow up to a huge blimp all those weeks, heard the wonderful news of a new pup on R.I., watched the pup grow into a humongous blimp, and now..Mom flew the coop leaving her little cow, Mikala alone. To see the process of M and M's body shrink to a pancake is amazing. She gave so much of herself to Mikala, watched her every move, teaching her the ropes of the sea. Little Mikala and Mom both got run off R.I. by three intruders. Luckily, Mom came back and guarded her baby again. That was scarey. Today, Mikala faces the world, ALONE. THere she lay, HUGE, Beautiful and ready for a life of hunting for food, looking for a place to rest and dealing with the humans. That is alot to handle for a little girl. Wish her luck, hopes she meets a special friend to share her life. Hoping, this sweet FEMALE of M and M can endure all that is a head of her. Thanks DB for all the hours spent, observing these this sweet fossils on R.I, protecting them from humans, bringing all of us readers the joys and problems these critters face daily. It was a great adventure of a Female Hawaiian Monk Seal and her Pup...Mikala. Yahoo!!!!!!!! A FEMALE!!!!!!!!! Ya all done good!!