Monday, May 19, 2008

Pup P02 North Shore - 5/19/08

Aloha Good People!

Sorry (DB) no photos, I did manage to take a couple but my camera battery died... and I have a stinko camera... (guess what my next investment is?) So as soon as I can down load them I will post.

Anyway I actually wish I had a video camera because I spent from Noon until 4:30 watching P02 going in for a couple of swims.... rolling and playing and a little feeding. Our little pup is a week old today and what a difference in energy and a very bold little bugger.

The first swim I observed Mom was lying on the shore line and the little bugger made its way into the water... and without hesitation starting swimming out... I figure at least 20 maybe 30 ft and would turn around and swim back in... the swim included several dives lasting on average 27 seconds... I managed to time one at 29 seconds... I was very impressed that the pup seemed like an old pro. The other observation was initially the shore break would toss it around some, but after the 3rd time the pup seemed to hold its own against the break.

The second swim included Mom getting into the water, she stayed close to the shore break while the little bugger swam out and back... then the two of them rolled around a bit. I thought a feeding would take place when they came out of the water but instead they napped. It wasn't until a few minutes before 16:00 did the pup start a feeding.

Just as a side note *** I noticed dog tracks within the perimeter of the seals... and judging from the tracks its a big dog.... The tracks came from the opposite end of the owners house. Barb & Rob noted from this morning that one of the workers that checks the drains on the property warned that there are lose dogs in the neighborhood that run the beach.... He did mention the owners dogs but honestly I haven't observed them coming down to the beach or seen any tracks. SO KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN!

Good night ! ~donna~

No comments: