Thursday, May 1, 2008

DB Post Thursday May 1st

Ewa Girl & Pup (D#12), RIP,M&M & RB08 @ Rabbit Island, Buster@ Spitting Cave
Mom and the kid were active today. The first of their 3 water sessions took place in water that was swimmable depth for both of them, though still within the semi-protected area they have been in since the beginning. With the south swell the waters were choppy but the pup handled just find for the 4 minutes of the session. The other two sessions were the usual case of Mom lying on the bottom with the kid flappin' and floppin' all around her. In between swims there were 3 feeds and lots of snoozin' . Ever since last Sunday I've begun to see visible difference in pup size each day.

Also at RI today were RIP and M&M at 3BS (3rd Blue Sign). I'm especially stoked about the M&M ID. My guess , at the time, on my Unknown animal at Hanauma Bay yesterday was a possible M&M, and when , later in the day a chubby animal hauled out at Rabbit Island I once again thought chances were good that it was M&M, but I never got what I needed to make the ID. This morning when I saw that all too familiar ventral side with the discoloration on her chest angled from toward the right flipper tip, I knew it was M&M. She is a very chunky , young female. Only M&M knows if she is pregnant, or just anoher fat chick. We shall see !

Buster was at Spitting Cave today, doing 7 minute dives.

When I got back to Rabbit Island for Round #2, I noticed that the little 1 yr old, female, RB08 was tucked into the base of the cliff at the left end of the island. I think she'd been there all along, but I didn't see her in the funky morning lighting, and shadows.

No comments: