Saturday, May 10, 2008

DB Post Saturday May 10th

Ewa Girl&Pup, M&M,RIP,Mojo&RB08@ Rabbit Island, Irma & R301@ Sandy Beach,5-10-08
It was another busy little day. Ewa Girl & pup (D#20) were once again at the left end of the island, and I'm sure they probably put in a routine day, but because I was gone on other calls, I never actually saw a swim,but did see 3 feeds. In addition to Mom & pup the Rabbit Island cast was M&M, RIP, Mojo, and RB08. All remained there all day.


The maintenance guy at Sandy Beach called at 0810 to report an animal just hauling out to the east end of Sandy Beach, When I arrived at 0820 I found Irma in her usual SB location. I got her all cordoned off and did lots of PR. I got another call at 0930 from a SB lifeguard reporting that another, small, animal had just hauled out to join Irma within the cordoned area. When I got there at 0945 I found R301. Though we've spent lots of hours together at Rabbit Island, and many foraging sessions at Spitting Cave, today marks the first time that R301 have ever had any up close and personal contact. I knew he was small, but I was surprised to see just how small he really is. After careful inspection today, I found that his mid body dorsal pit scar and the natural bleach just posterior to it, are in fact, his only useable markers. He and Irma spent the day together , and are still there at this writing. I'll recheck them at dark.

I responded to yet another Kahala report of an animal, but once again, it was a wild seal chase. I met 2 HPD guys and a DOCARE Officer,all of whom had received reports. The cops had the location by a street address. This address was nonexistent, but the Access 133A location where we were standing would have been the location. I walked to Hunakai St and back and saw no trails or wallows.

My wife called at 1803 , from SB to advise that both animals were gone. I went to join her and we picked up the stuff. A witness said they had left (Irma in the lead) at 1800, of their own volition. Aloha, DB

















No comments: