Wednesday, May 21, 2008

DB Post Wednesday May 21st

Ewa Girl&Pup (D#31), Sadie & R301@RI, RO38@MP,KBP&AD's, 5-21-08
Wow ! It's been a busy little day in DB's World. First, and most importantly..... It's a BOY ! Yep, it's time to quit deluding myself. Ewa Girl's latest off spring his a male. Like any proud papa , I'm stoked of course, but I was sure hoping for a girl. They were joined by Sadie and R301 on RI today.

As momentus as that statement is , it was not the highlight of the day. Ewa Girl and pup had gotten in the water in the morning, and as usual I prepared to leave the pier to got to the Makapuu Overview to observe swim behavior. Just as I started walking out of the pier, I heard a snuffle to my right and turned to see an baby faced, young Monk Seal swimming directly toward me. It submerged just as it got to the pier, and when I checked the other side I saw nothing. It was all over in a couple of seconds.

I decided to stay at the pier, but at 1010 I checked Kaupo Beach Park with the scope, and lo and behold I found an animal on the rocks down there. I immediately relocated and at 1018 I found RO38 snoozin' on the rocks. I got ID shots, but our time together was cut short by a rising tide, which moved her off the rocks.

Just to refresh your memories, she is a 2 y.o. female , born on 6-29-06 at Kalaupapa , Molokai. She began showing up on Oahu at KP in April. Her most famous/infamous moment so far was the "Poop Happens", Joanna Tabor shot from KP.

Later, at 1510 I got a call from Thea reporting an animal below "Pele's Chair" at AD's (The Allen-Davis Estate, on the Hawaii Kai side of Makapuu. ) When I arrived I found RO38 amongst the rocks in an impossible location, yet there she was, along side a motorcycle skeleton. Amazing !! Aloha, DB
I vote for calling R038 POOH (~donna~)



No comments: