Sunday, June 17, 2018

6/17/2018 Monk Seal Dailies:

Today's dailies are brought to you by Team Billand, Lesley's update from yesterday and today, and a Rabbit Island update.

Team Billand was out checking out the beaches and near the jetty they spotted two seal foraging offshore. Both were doing 6 minute dives, and N2 applied bleach was visible. So we know one of the critters is Kekoa Alii RK72. The other small with big dark eyes and green body was little Ka'ale RH32.  Both got separated, Ka'ale headed for the outfall and they lost sight of Kekoa Alii.
Ka'ale spent two hours at the outfall foraging. 


Ka'ale finally left the outfall and headed to a nearby beach. He landed on the rocks, he is looking healthy.  Team Billand rechecked on their way home from a Father's Day gathering. Ka'ale was still on the rocks, but with the rising tide, it would probably get him to move soon enough.

No seals, at Nanakuli beach but there were plenty of people there. Wow!

I headed off to the pier to check on Rabbit Island, and after two hours I got nothing. I spotted a bird sitting on a rock, and lots of rocks that look like seals. I probably spent more time staring at rocks hoping they would move, but no luck. I called it a day and headed back to the car. 

As I was pulling out Tony Q. pulled up next to me, he said he was going to take a look. I told him I just spent two hours and got skunked.   Wouldn't you know it, Tony sent his drone up and found two critters.  The only comfort I could find in all of this, is the critters were wet, which means they had just hauled out.  Bummers that I missed them.


Ka'ale RH32
Ka'ale finally hauls out
Rabbit Island Drone photos 

No comments: