Tuesday, June 19, 2018

6/19/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2 ) Lesley's Ka'ena Update



I did an early check on the beach.
My first find was RN58 "Luana", she's looking good and spent most of the day hauled out in corner of the PO4 site.
PO4 "Puna" (M) D52 and PO5 "Napua" (F) D46 were in the shallow water playing
I informed the Hotline.

Headed out to the point with a visitor, we checked all nooks a crevices', coves and pools and didn't see a seal till we made it to the point. I looked back and saw a seal on the outside of Ka'ena's Pool. It started swimming towards the Runway, passed thru it, into the side pools, all around to the point. I lost it for a while, I was up the top of the cliff in front of the runway, then it showed up at the entrance of the Main Pool. I made it fast to try to get closer to ID, but stopped in my steps cause it swam in did a circle an headed out. Couldn't believe I was going to wrap the hike with an U/U !

At home I was looking at the downloaded photos. I had several of the U/U so I looked at them slowly out of curiosity.... ta-da, a neck stretched out of the water showed me three scars giving RW02 "PVKauai" and on another then the tags.
I didn't call him in because of time. I'll let Hotline know in the morning.
We then walked around the NARS and talked to visitors while looking at the Albatross chicks.

Back at Playpen 1 both weaners were hauled out near by each other with their bellies up to the sky - showing who-z-who. Waves were rolling in and bigger sets were washing them. It was fun to watch "Puna" let himself role over or trying to stay in a position but because of the sand slope was rolling to his back.
"Luana" was still on the beach in the afternoon.  Aloha🌺


No comments: