Wednesday, June 13, 2018

6/13/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Weaner, weaner, we got another weaner !!!
Our little PO5 "Napua" D40 was alone this morning, mom RL42 "Leia" was no where to be seen. I could see a trail down the beach with 2 small trails one on each side all the way to the waterline - low tide. Proof that momma left this morning. PO5 "Napua" was playing in a tide pool in the left cove, it took me a while but I was able to get a good shot from the hill of her playing with a bottle cap. She kept throwing it up and letting it sink then she'd retrieve it and start again. Never heard a bark from her. So different from PO4 "Puna" on the morning he weaned, he vocalized at rocks, leaves, crabs, anything that moved around him then he settled.
Also on the beach was a BIG male with a pit CC scar on the back. The early morning light made it hard for me to confirm his ID. My eye told me it was RO40 "Ka'ena" but I couldn't see markers to call him in. I came up to the house to check on a big screen and on the 1st photo there was his RFF scar, R eye scar, etc... I didn't have o go thru the other 59 pics...
PO4 "Puna" D46 was MIA for the first hour I was there, Karolyn (HMAR) arrived and we went on a search. Both of us spotted him from different angles of the beach and called each other.
I came back in the early afternoon & met up with Diane. PO5 "Puna" was hauled out mid beach near a rock barely visible and PO4 "Puna" was on a small patch of sand near the keiki coves. Tide was coming up fasat with big waves so he may have been washed off from there.
I'll be back down for sunset.
I also did a 10Mnts Beach run but there was no signs of seal haul outs today.

Several calls & reports were made to the Hotline.\


 put a cork in it weaner

No comments: