Monday, June 11, 2018

6/11/2018 Monk Seal Dailies (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

Went down early to check on PO4 "Puna" D44, RL42 "Leia" & PO5 "Napua" D38. "Puna had been MIA yesterday afternoon and earlier today, but as soon as I stepped down I pointed him out to Karen (the volunteer on duty). He was rolling in one of his mom's favorite little coves.
"Leia & "Napua were hauled out on the cove side of their beach.
A little later I went back on my way to KPt with some visitors from the mainland that used to live here. They were part of the big 50th Punahou reunion celebration. They had the whole 1on1 outreach experience.
At the point we saw RO40 "Ka'ena" in "Squinty's" favorite spot.

In the late afternoon I went back to the point with the canine team, that are rat hunter dogs in training. Today was their last one before their mission that will start tomorrow on another island. Can't wait to hear of the results.

On my way back I did one last check at the playpen. The three were hauled out on the same beach ready for the night.
"Napua" is enormous, visibly bigger than her cousin "Puna" and her mom "Leia" is already very skinny.

 Puna PO4 Day 44 weaner 
 the play pen
 PO5 Napua and Mama Leia RL42
 Mom is looking deflatted
 Napus starting to change color
 RO40 Ka'ena

No comments: