Friday, June 22, 2018

6/22/2018 Monk Seal Dailies:

Today's dailies are brought to you by Team Billand, posse pal Tammy, and my Rabbit Island update.

Team Billand's only find today was on the west side where they found Benny RE74 and RL42 Leia resting together on the rocks. Benny held he hind flippers down with his body, so she couldn't sneak away. She wasn't having it, oh Benny you can't treat her like that!

Team Billand covered from Nimitz to Ka'ena West and didn't find any critters.  Even the fishermen at the outfall were asking for the little "green" seal. 

On their last check after Ka'ena West check, Benny and Leia were having words. She got away from him and hauled up on the rocks. He was very vocal, letting her know he wasn't happy, and she.... kept going. 

 Tammy was out at the playpen today with Lesley. Today was the big day when the weaner cousins got their bling. The NOAA team was out there and from what I understand it all happened very quickly. SOOOO  the official tags for:

PO4 is now Puna, male, RK88/K89     (mother RN58 Luana)
PO5 is now Napua female RK40/41     (mother RL42 Leia)


By the way, I don't know if I posted but Kaiwi's boy got his bling last week and he is officially RK24/25.  I'm not sure who may have said it, maybe my old pal Gayle, but K24 like 24 karat gold... Bruno Mars.  I know it's not a Hawaiian name but, certainly belongs to a local boy. Little Bruno 24 karat gold :-)  

My Rabbit Island observations today lasted about two hours. And of course I found myself scratching my head over and over. In the end I found four critters, but at one point I thought there were only three, for sure a challenge when looking through a scope a half mile away.

First find was a small critter about 10 feet right of the 3BS and after observing and the critter rolling over showing it's female belly. Large white belly, and clean gray body (until she was covered with sand). Probably safe to say it was Hali'a RK38, although I never spotted the N4 bleach. 

Second find was about 20 ft from the 3BS, show his belly, male, very greenish in color and skinny. The critter never showed me anything else..... so U/M. Could be Aka, but that is just a guess.

Last find was way to the left of the Island by the rocky flats. This is where Sadie and PO6 usually hang out. What I was viewing through the scope was a very large critter. I watched for an hour, I couldn't tell which end was the tail or the head. I was watching for any kind of movement, something and then FINALLY there was something oh, there's the head, and oh wait that isn't one huge critter, that is Sadie with her fatso kid right in front of her.  They were so close together I could not see that there were two. Thankfully Sadie lifted her head and moved away from the kid ever so slightly. 

I love observing Rabbit Island, but man oh man it is a challenge.  I have always been in awe of DB's ability, but now, I think he had some type of super power.

Leia RL42 & Benny RE74 
 Napua RK40/41 
 RK88/89 Puna
Rabbit Island Weaner - Hali'a N4  
U/M  Aka? RJ30
Sadie & PO6

No comments: