Friday, June 8, 2018

6/8/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2 )

Day started early with calls regarding RG40 "Holokai" where abouts. He was heading this way but turned back.

I went down to check on the playpens and found little PO4 "Puna" D41 all by himself! Mom RN58 "Luana" left... I did the weaner calls.
Alas this afternoon around 1:20ish mom came back and both reunited, pup was nursing.
This could have been a pre-weaning for mom. "Puna" was fine and did some vocalizing in the morning after hauling out of his favorite pool. He settled down and that's were I found him when I came back from the point.

RL42 "Leia" & PO5 "Napua" D35 were hauled out on both of my checking. "Napua" already has a white muzzle and several lighter patches where the black fur has shed.

Out at the point I found RO40 "Ka'ena" in a different location, the only seal I'd ever seen in that place was R330 "Squinty"
Talking to visitors they told me about a swim by in the Main Pool. I asked them if he had a N1 bleach and they confirmed and showed me pics. RR70 "Rip" was our seal.
Then heading back out a fisherman pointed out a freshly hauled out seal beside Nihoa's Pool. It was RW02 "PVKauai".
From there I checked again on "Ka'ena" but he had left, probably swept off by those big waves rolling in.

 Am I a weaner?  
 PO5 still hanging with Momma
 Ka'ena
 PvKauai

No comments: