Wednesday, June 20, 2018

6/20/2018 Monk Seal Dailies (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Update

It was a VERY busy and full day - and it's only 3:00PM !!
My days are a mix of work and seals, in these reports I only cover seals. All seals are called in to the Hotline.

I went by early to check on the pups PO4 "Puna" (M) D53 and PO5 "Napua" (F) D47 were each playing on opposite beaches. Soon the reunited in front of  the Playpen It was 9:15 by the time "Puna" hauled out, "Napua" was taking her time so I left  after 2 hours watching them - to check in haul out times.

At 10 Mnts Beach my first surprise of the day RN58 "Luana" was side by side with RN30. He is a male (b. May 11th, 2013) from Kauai and his mom is no one less than RO28 "Pohaku". Checking my files I saw that he has visited Oahu once before and was documented out at KPt by our friend Tony Querubin on May 10th,2016 at the time he was bleached V30.
I put up HMS signs on the beach and put road block signs up on each side, so that NO vehicles will go on the sand side of dunes  
Hotline was informed

At the Pt I found RO40 "Ka'ena" at the entrance of his pool.

On my why out I met with Dave (DLNR) and a big group of kids that had been volunteering with him in the NARs. I offered some water from my 5+ gallon container. While kids filled up their bottles, David told me that there had been a small seal sleeping in the Main Pool, a big seal came in bullied the little one and they both left. Sorry NO ID's possible.

On my way back I stopped and checked all the seals. "Luana" and RN30 were still sleeping, "Napua" was hauled out near left cove and "Puna" was in the same spot I had left him hours earlier.

My second and biggest surprise was to find RK36 "Kauai Kolohe" in front of our place. I had to check and recheck his tag 4DJ, I was so and still am so happy to see him.
I last saw him @ Elbow Beach/ Kahuku Pt when he and RT10 "Ua Malie" were molting under the Ironwood trees.

It was hot like.....well VERY hot out there today.

 kissing cousins
 welcome back Kauai Koloha RK36
 These two are the same age but Luana is much larger. 
 Ka'ena RO40

2 comments:

B said...

In these past few months with all the deaths of our beloved seals...it was pure JOY and relief ...TO KNOW THAT RK36 IS ALIVE AND BACK HOME. WHAT A MAGNIFICENT FIND LES.

AND THEN TO FIND POHAKU'S SON, ANOTHER JOYFUL FIND.

LIFE CAN BE................WONDERFUL AGAIN.

THE SEALS BECOME A PART OF OUR FAMILY, LOSING ONE IS TRAGIC...FINDING ONE THAT BEEN MISSING FOR SO LONG....A MIRACLE AND WE CAN HAVE "HOPE" AGAIN.

Lesley said...

Yes, it was a special day 🌺