Friday, June 8, 2018

6/8/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 1)

Today's dailies are brought to you by Team Billand, Melody, and Lesley. Lesley's complete update is part 2 of the dailies.  Also I have a brief update from my visit to the Pier.

I was at Makai Pier today for a bit today. Conditions were beautiful for viewing, no large white caps. My first pan of the island I only spotted a bright white belly behind the berm between the 1st and 2nd blue6 signs. Every once in a while the little flipper moved, but other than that is was all belly while I was there. 
About 15 minutes later I spotted a large adult recently hauled out to the far left of the 1BS and right of the flat rocks on the left side. As I was watching another critter became visible on the right side of the adult and there they were Mom and PO6. Sadie and PO6 hauled up and went into snooze mode. I did observe a nursing session that didn't last very long. PO6 coat is looking more reddish brown once it's dry.


While I was out I decided to check on Kaiwi and PO3, and when I got there is was just PO3. Apparently Kaiwi weaned this boy on Wednesday, well officially. She left on Tuesday, but returned later in the day and nursed him one more time. Nice Momma because this kid is huge, he's got plenty of reserve to hold him over.  Good Job Kaiwi!   

As long as I am mentioning Kaiwi and weaner I would like to thank all the volunteers out there, but want to give a BIG shout-out to my pal Gayle.  She has been out there everyday and evening, on her own. She is relentless in her efforts to make sure someone is there watching over Mom and pup.  If you go out to the site and see Gayle, say THANK YOU!  

Team Billand spent 4 hours out at a Leeward Beach watching three seals off shore foraging and fighting. Kalani RN14 and RG32 were easy to ID with their applied bleach marks. They could clearly see a third seal and possible fourth, but they were unable to ID. 
After a few hours RG32 hauled out followed by RN14 Kalani. The waves kept getting bigger and higher washing RN14 and RG32 off the rocks. RN14 was seen going offshore and foraging.

There was no sign of Ka'ale today, from the west side nor the north side.

Melody headed back to Ewa beach this morning and spied Rocky hauling out. Local resident John said she had spent the night on the beach. One of the visitors on the beach showed her some photos.
Melody caught a couple of pictures of her foraging, but once she was out by the reef she took off.


Sadie Rb12 & PO6 
Weaner Neaner PO3
Three critters at play
 Rn14 Kalani & RG32
Rocky

No comments: