Tuesday, May 1, 2018

5/1/2018 Monk Seal Dailies (part 2) Happy 10th Birthday Ho'ailona (forever KP2)

Today I had the pleasure of catching up with a couple of Aunties ( Dana, Diane & Karen) and we went to visit Ho'ailona with a lei (thank you Auntie Dana). Not only is today Ho'ailona's 10th Birthday but it's also Lei day.  Unfortunately the monk seal habitat is still closed for renovation and we weren't able to visit.  We did get to speak with one of his handlers and she promised to bring him his lei and send us a picture. Also we were informed he's doing GREAT !!

I went through and pulled up some old photos. I know on facebook Ho'ailona posted some photos of his journey, just consider these a few more photos from behind the scenes.  ENJOY!

the volunteers who built the pen at marine corp base
 Barbara digging in
 Relaxing in my new digs
yummm tako
 I'm so happy!
Wait ... it's time to go already? 
Hmm where am I? 
 KP2 for some reason enjoyed concrete especially at this construction site
 and these steps
Molokai tag team !  and incredible women !
And the face of determination to give them gray hair 
Well that didn't last long - wait this isn't my pink boogie board
 and I have to clean up after myself
 Many of you don't know... I have this beauty mark
 Saying goodbye to my pal Val before I go off to college
Back from College an in my new home @ the Waikiki Aquarium
 Auntie Barbara! I missed you!
 Uncle ROBERT !!! 
 I'm so happy my Ohana is here!
Make sure you come by to see me soon.... ( when the renovations are done).

1 comment:

b said...

KP2 was the seal who kept us going, as we had just lost Hoku at the time, who was just 5 months old. God bless Hokus heart.

We were honored to take care of KP2 for months at Kaneohe marine corp base. It was something that changed our lives...made us learn more about Monk Seals.

We made many friends, got to meet Frances Gulland, Marie Destafontes, Greg Lavine and more. We made the sea pen with other volunteers, hard work but fun.

It broke our hearts that KP2 was taken away in a chopper to a new home in the mainland. But thats where Terri Williams also got to care for KP2 for two years and where SHE ALSO FELL IN LOVE WITH KP2.

Later, Waikiki Aquarium took in KP2 and we had to visit this wonderful, smart, blind seal who melted our hearts. It was a day I'll never forget as soon as we went to the tank where KP2 was, he came to the window of the tank and we were face to face. THAT WAS PURE MAGIC FOR US...like seeing a FAMILY MEMBER.

We have taken our grand daughter to visit with KP2 who is now HOILONA and she too, automatically fell for him, enjoyed his spirit.

So seeing these past photos of such a special Monk Seal, BRINGS BACK SO MANY MEMORIES. Thanks Donna .... Kp2 lives in our soul forever!!!!!!!!!!!!