Sunday, May 13, 2018

5/13/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Update

Kimo  ( Lyman) & I went down to check on the kids this morning, we spent some quality time with Carolyn the volunteer on site
RN58 "Luana" & PO4 D15 were coming out of the water a settling on the far end of the beach where they remained most of the day.
RL42 "Flor" & PO5 D9 were in he water having a swimming session, they hauled out in the middle of the beach a little past 11am.
We did have a lady walk thru the zone right under our noses, I went to talk to her to explain the why of the fenced area, etc. gave her a full 1on1 outreach. She had scattered her father's ashes several months ago around the corner but wanted to sit there to be with him. After our talk she told me he was in great company.

Around 2:30ish I got a txt from one of my posses, saying that there was a man sitting on a rock inside the pup zone. I was able to head down an hour later and there was no one there. The seals seemed to be undisturbed.

PO5 did not cooperate today "It" rolled from side to side, covered in sand or nice an clean but in a bad angle... so I'm still waiting to confirm it's sex and I'll share the nicknames I've picked for both pups. Will let you all know asap.

Hope everyone had a nice Mother's Day!

 RL42 & PO5 (so glad there's that little stripe)
 Let's fly away
 Momma stop that you can't fly
 Luana and PO4 - Okay what was happening in the play pen today? Momma seals trying to fly?

No comments: