Monday, May 28, 2018

5/28/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2 ) Lesley's Ka'ena Point Update

It was a very long day and I'm glad the long week-end is over.
I was out early to check the playpens - there were no volunteers today so I did several checks thru out the day. Many visitors and LOTS of outreach was done.
RN58 "Luana" & PO4 "Puna" D30 had several swimming sessions and nursing haul outs. On some of my photos I could see that the bottom of his fore flippers are already starting to loose the black fur. On yesterdays photos I also noticed some little white spots on his chest that could be an NB.
RL42 "Leia" & PO5 D24 also had swimming session and big nursing time. It seems that both pups have put on a lot of weight this weekend.

I went out to the point and again did lots of outreach. I met a great couple Rose & Will Parsons from NZ. They own Driftwood Ecotours offering bespoke trips to special places in Marlborough.
There was a family playing in the main pool, and just kept an eye on that entrance. Just as we were about to leave from the corner of my eye I saw a BIG seal move in to the pool at big speed. We helped the family gather their belongings and kids off the waterline and back up fast.
It was RR70 "RIP". he did a check around the pool and left, I went up the rock wall on the side of Back Beach and soon he showed up. Made it to the waterline turned and left. We didn't see him again.

Rose, Will & I came out together, we were about to get to the fence gate when a straight downpour got us and soaked us to the bone in seconds. The rain stopped as fast as it started.
We stopped by to check the playpens and saw swimming & nursing sessions.
A late afternoon check all were sleeping and most of the weekend visitors have left.

Once again I'd like to thank DOCARE (Tom, Kalani, Walter & Jim) for being here this long weekend, specially today when I was on my own.  Aloha ðŸŒº

 Leia RL42 & PO5  Day 24 
PO4 - Puna Day 30
 RIP RR70  

No comments: