Wednesday, May 30, 2018

5/30/2018 Monk Seal Dailies (part 2 ) Lesley's Ka'ena Point Update

Finally PO5 showed us her sex. It took days of documentation, sand bellies, fur & bleach in the way, or just not turning over.
Yesterday I was able to get a shot of the belly turned up and wet. Sent it in and got a second confirmation.

So today I'm proud to introduce "Napua"  - resembles floras or flowers.

Very early this morning we could hear RN58 "Luana" vocalizing down on the beach, meaning a swimming session was on it's way.
After going down to the park gate I headed back to check the playpens. Karen (HMAR vol.) & I enjoyed watching RN58 "Luana" & PO4 "Puna" D32 swimming and doing long dives. As of the last several days when they decided to haul out it was on the outside of the SAR, but as I left they came back in.

Down on the other side RL42 "Leia" & PO5 "Napua" were having a nap on the beach.

I did my monitoring of the point and lots of outreach. RR70 "RIP" was hauled out on the reef island of the Main Pool to the delight of visitors.
Once again I was stopped by a young couple that were very upset because someone had carved something on the seals side. I asked them with a smile if it was an N1. They were startled. Both were VERY relieved when I explained the bleaching (not carving). They left with a smile on their faces and had a good bar story to share.

Got to see "CHICKY" being feed - that's the one that the parents had lost their partners and "hooked up" this season, he/she is their first chick .

Back at the pup sites all was quiet. Both moms & pups were swimming. The new SM Laura was on shift and we had a good chat. She's bringing great experience, I wished welcome and all the best.

 RIP RR70 

No comments: