Thursday, May 31, 2018

5/31/2018 Monk Seal Dailies: (part 2) Lesley's Ka'ena Point Update

An early start but got stuck with a couple of issues before I could really get out and go.
First I went
 down to check the playpens.
PO4 "Puna" D33 was driving his mama RN58 "Luana" crazy. We watched as she swam from side to side along the beach calling him. She was vocalizing out of the water and certainly under also. In the meantime "Puna" was diving in shallow waters playing with something. He kept bringing it up to the surface and letting it go, then down again after it he'd go. Three days ago it looked like half a can of Coca-Cola, yesterday and today rocks or things. Mom didn't seem to happy cause when he made it back to her she moved her body over his, kept a fore flipper or hind ones on him till they hauled out.
On my first check PO5 "Napua" D27 and mom RL42 "Leia" were having swimming session near their favorite cove. When I came back from the point they were freshly hauled out and in a cuddly mood.

I met up with Team Tammy & Dave at the point. On my way in I saw a big pile of nets and knew they had gone down to retrieve it.
Then I saw RO40 "Ka'ena" stretched out at the entrance of his pool. On our way back he was still there.

Team T & D hanged around for a while at the point, they had seen RW02 "PVKauai" earlier on the Runway but he had entered the water. We didn't see him again.
We checked every nook for RG40 "Holokai" but didn't see him.

No comments: