Saturday, March 8, 2014

3-8-2014 - Lesley Braves the Rain to Ka"ena Point

It was a slip & slide hike out to KPt today. The trail was soaked, the weather was nice although there was rain all around, the big swell waves were getting bigger by the hour.
RO40 "Ka'ena" was the only seal out at the point, I followed a trail from the Main Beach around the big rock, then down the naupaka trail and there he was sleeping peacefully.
There were several trails on the Back Beach going up and down. There must have been several seals over knighting.
 
Back from the hike I went on to Birth Beach, there was a guy shell picking and no seal. I decided to go up the back path and suddenly there was this thing coming out of the old fire pit. It was little RN58 "Luana" !! 

What a place she chose to sleep. The shell picker and I jumped from the fright she gave us. We both held back our laughs for some seconds while she settled back to sleep.

He told me he walked down the path 10 minutes before and never saw her there. He's first reaction was to ask me if I was going to report her. I showed him the back of my T-shirt thru the rain poncho. He gave me a big smile and thanked us for what we do for those special creatures.  Nice to know people out there know and want to report/call it in. 

His reaction made my day ! Aloha, Lesley 

 Ka'ena 
 Luana give campfire girl a whole new meaning
 I think she likes hugging the rocks.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Is that a baby Albatross? too cute!