Monday, March 3, 2014

3-2-2014 DB's Dailies: Kea&U/U@Blowhole, Pohaku@Secrets, RIP@WP, Haupu@WSK, U/U@MI

It was a totally junk day out there today. My thanks to Marilyn, Melanie & Gayle for braving the elements to do their rounds. My first pass through the quadrant was a bust.
 
At 0908 I found Kea (RN46) in the small cove on the Sandy Beach side of the Blowhole Lookout. He had not been there on my 0800 check. I had last seen him on 2-20-14 at this same location.
 
At 1139 volunteer Melanie called to advise that Kea was still in the cove, but that there was another animal foraging off of the Blowhole Lookout. When I arrived at 1150 Melanie & Gayle were there along with an adult sized animal with 2 red tags, and a new coat doing 7-9 minute dives. No ID was possible but many could be ruled out. My dollar would be on Buster, but an U/U is required. I’d last seen Buster on 2-20-14, the same last day as Kea. I’ve been wondering if they might not be out on a mission together, and interestingly both might have returned at the same time. Maybe tomorrow will answer the question.
 
At 0803 Team Billand called with the report of an animal at Secret Beach. Diane T responded and confirmed the Pohaku (RO28) ID at 0825.
 
At 1040 the Billands reported RIP (RR70) at Tower #1, White Plains. New volunteer Cindy put in day #1 at WP. RIP departed at 1410.
 
At 1226 they found Haupu (RB24) at Wind Sock. Haupu was gone at 1510.
 

Ocean Safety called at 1648 with a report of an animal at Magic Island. Dana notified. Awaiting further word.

 Kakakaka Kea
 such a handsome little boy
 u/u at blowhole  possible suspect Buster
 Pohaku on at KoOlina 
 Haupu at Windsock
 Rip at white plains

No comments: