Wednesday, April 24, 2013

4-24-2013 DB's Dailies:

Aloha good people.... reporting in from the Lanikai General Store's internet since I have not service at the house still (chances are this will be for the week)... .anyway, if I miss some information or post things late I appreciate your understanding for the time. I will do my best to catch up..... and now for today's Seal News!


Lightning, Thunder and dumping rain began the day. Even seeing Rabbit Island was impossible, let alone seeing critters out there. When I got my 3rd look at 0750 I found what would prove to be Nani (RK60), 80 ft right of 3BS. She would remain all day.
The absolute highlight of the day came at 1035. We have a Weaner !!! (42 days). I got to Makai Pier at 1008 and Nani was still the only visible resident. At 1035 I found a little fat kid, all alone ,swimming in the 1BS area. At 1133 I became aware of an adult sized animal now playing with the weaner, off shore of 1BS. At 1238 the adult sized animal would haul out to the left end rock flats. This was definitely yesterday's U/M also. When I checked my photo database at 1700 I found that it was , in fact, RK36, based on a right side scar, behind the RFF. He would remain on the flats the rest of the day.
The weaner finally hauled out to the far left end of the beach at 1305. I am reasonably sure that we have a male here, and I've gone with Kainoa as a name. If I turn out to be wrong, so be it, We shall see. He would remain at the the left end location, playing with a red plastic bucket until 1347. He entered the water and hauled out again to a spot right of 1BS at 1355 for a snooze. He entered the water again at 1453, and was seen swimming of shore of the far left end, when I departed for the day.
 
On a pan at 1500 I found that Buster (RV08) had now joined Nani. They were still there together when I departed.
At 0650 Team Billand reported RIP (RR70) at #1707, White Plains. They called later in the day to advise that they had been told that RIP had been run off twice, by cottage residents, and that it was about to happen for a 3rd time, when the lifeguards intervened.
At 0655 an animal was reported at Paradise Cove, which was thought to be Pohaku, however the Billands confirmed the Kermit (R012) ID at 0830.
Dana called at 0950 to advise that Joy Silver had confirmed Right Spot (R016) at Sunset Beach.
At 1118 Dera advised of an animal at Bath Tube Beach, Laie. The animal was gone when Lesley arrived.

It's a WEANER!!!
 Right Spot 
 Kermit
 RIP

2 comments:

Diga said...

Yeah, a weaner!! DB, what does Kainoa mean?

Diane

barbara said...

Oh, another weaner, how sweet and yet, SAD. He will face so many things in its life, dogs, nets, HUMANS, sharks, debri.

Good luck sweet Kainoa...may you find a safe spot to rest when need be. May you get away from the dogs that come to you while on shore.

Hope you bypass the nets with the fish in them...run from those nets...Kainoa.

Dont mess with the HUMANS...stay with your own kind...HAWAIIAN MONK SEALS.

Stay in your small perimeter that a kind VOLUNTEER will make for you, you will be cared for in them.

See a shark, RUN!!

I wish I had better words for you little Kainoa, but, that is the world that awaits you for the rest of your life. I hope to meet you little boy from Rabbit Island, little male made by Sadie and ????

And you can bet, THE SEAL WHISPERER, WILL BE LOOKING AFTER YOU DAILY as you haul up on RABBIT ISLAND, your birth spot.

Flipper hugs Kainoa...you are so loved from the minute you were born...Good luck to you, maybe one day we'll meet.